Bar-UE – Steamboat, CO

img_4968
Upper part of the lift line.
img_4970
View down the lift line.
img_4973
Lower terminal with tensioning.
img_4975
Yan half tower.
img_4978
Loading area and lift line.
img_4981
Riding up.
img_4986
Arriving up top.
img_4990
Top drive station and unloading ramp.

8 thoughts on “Bar-UE – Steamboat, CO

1. Donald M. Reif February 28, 2019 / 8:43 pm

Before the Storm Peak Express lift was built, BAR-UE operated in conjunction with another double chairlift, WJW, which ran from where the Storm Peak Express starts today up to where the Wapiti cattrack off Pioneer Ridge splits from Longhorn.

2. skitheeast December 19, 2019 / 9:12 pm

I think this lift should be replaced with a detachable with the top terminal being located at the top of Morningside. It gives easier access to the front side terrain off of Morningside, which currently requires a trip down into Morningside Park and a ride up the lift, and therefore maintains the same balance of hike-to and lift-serviced terrain. Also, this is lift is over forty years old and a secondary lift in its current alignment.

• Donald Reif December 20, 2019 / 12:26 am

I think that would make logical sense, since the entrance trails into Morningside Park from the Storm Peak Express are rather flat.

I believe such a lift would be called the Christmas Express.

• Donald Reif January 9, 2020 / 9:55 pm

Actually, yeah, that would make BAR-UE more useful. Although I do see some powder hounds would be complaining about some of the chutes now being easier to lap without having to do the Storm Peak Express to Morningside Park after each trip. The end result of such a change is that Buddy’s Run and the upper Storm Peak face trails would become exclusively serviced by the Storm Peak Express, while Buddy’s Run would now be lappable from a detachable without the need to take the runout of Tornado Lane back to the Storm Peak Express.

• Dan December 19, 2020 / 7:38 pm

That’s a no for me. Not so much about gate keeping the powder but man I just love these older lifts. Prefer terrain expansions-with the fastest newest lifts- to replacing old school ones.

• Myles Svec December 19, 2020 / 8:41 pm

The thing is I could see a problem with wind since the top would be quite exposed plus I’m not sure if there is enough space on the ridge between the chutes and morning side where the lift would unload to have that many people. I like your idea though and I think it’s a good idea. In my idea it would be a 1,600 or 1,800 ph HSQ with wind protected sheaves and slatted backrest chairs.

• Myles Svec December 19, 2020 / 9:51 pm

Here is my idea for a Bar UE replacement

It would be replaced with a 5,192 ft long High Speed Quad starting at the base of the existing Bar UE lift to the top of the Morning Side lift.

Ideas for names would be Christmas Express or Ridge Express.

3. Tyler January 24, 2021 / 9:48 pm

After spending a weekend here, big fan of both Bar-UE and Four Points as a way to avoid Storm Peak lines. Great to see an unmodified Yan (complete with original 1970s name plates) in all its glory

What’s the story behind the name of this one? How are you supposed to say it? Some old ranching reference?