Christie III – Steamboat, CO

View up the lower line.
Yan towers with Doppelmayr chairs.
Lift line passing the Christie Peak Express angle station.
View up the line.
img_4734
Upper lift line seen from Christie Peak Express.
img_4746
Lift Engineering top station with drive.
img_5271
Tension station down below.
img_5273
Lift overview.
img_5301
The breakover.

23 thoughts on “Christie III – Steamboat, CO

1. Carson July 2, 2017 / 9:48 pm

How come there is Doppelmayr chairs instead of yan chairs?

• Ryan July 2, 2017 / 11:07 pm

Steamboat upgraded some of the Yan lifts with Doppie chairs & clips over the years as the time came for the clips to be replaced it was going to be easier and more cost effective for the Yannie lifts they planned to hold onto to upgrade with Doppie stuff. Four Points also received Doppie chairs when it was modified and shortened a bit back in 2012. South Peak also was modified with Doppie chairs and sheaves. Steamboat also threw on Doppie chairs on 2 lifts that have since been removed- a Miner Denver, & a Heron Poma, the old Christie II. Not uncommon for resorts to upgrade their aging YANs with Doppie and Poma gear.

• Donald M. Reif February 28, 2019 / 8:42 pm

I don’t think Four Points was shortened 2012, but then again, I might be wrong.

• Larry Schroeder February 10, 2020 / 2:33 pm

The current Four Points used to be Storm Peak and went to the top. It was then shortened when Storm Peak Express was installed and the original Four Points lift was removed in 92. The two lifts actually shared a tower where where the Yan lift crossed over.

• Collin September 5, 2018 / 5:38 pm

The Doppelmayr chairs on this lift and South Peak came off the old Sunshine lift when it went detachable in 2006. This lift rarely runs and I expect Steamboat to remove it once the Bashor Bowl Gondola and Thunderhead upgrade are complete.

2. connor January 28, 2019 / 9:31 am

those depresion sheave trains look sooo dumb and strange with the tire.

• Joe Blake November 4, 2019 / 10:15 pm

On the contrary, I’d venture they look like gettin sicker off some chalky cornice in a sweater, CB pants, and parking-lot-find Reusch gate-banger gloves on some K2 Extremes with Geze bindings and Tecnica TNTs. Some green and orange Scott Racer poles if it was a good summer for nickle-nosing. Maybe some Zinka and lost-and-mine Vaurnets and a tripeak beanie. There’s a definite æsthetic, that’s fer sure. Maybe not of a specific moment, but an era; the kind us crotchety geezers get all misty-eyed about.

Liked by 2 people

3. Donald Reif November 12, 2019 / 7:36 pm

Back in the days before the Christie Peak Express was built, Christie II and Christie III were essentially like a double-triple or whatever the word is, as their bottom terminals were combined.

Christie II was like Priest Creek, a lift that had Yan towers, a Yan loading area, and Heron Poma chairs. I think it had a Heron-Poma vault drive too…

• Donald Reif January 10, 2020 / 3:43 pm

EDIT: I’ve actually been told those are Heron-Poma towers on Priest Creek and the defunct Christie II, and it’s more likely that Christie II had its loading station replaced when Christie III was added.

• SKIID January 6, 2021 / 5:08 pm

I was there in the summer when Christie III went in and that is when that combined terminal went in. YAN did the same thing with the base of Arrowhead and Thunderhead.

• AJ February 21, 2021 / 5:19 pm

That’s interesting that they used the same concept on Tbunderhead and Arrowhead. Do you know where I can find any pictures of the Thunderhead double or Arrowhead?

4. Ryan Gardner January 10, 2020 / 3:06 pm

Been watching the cams at Steamboat and they have been running Christie III a lot this season vs seasons in the past, even with little to no line at CPE.

Liked by 2 people

• Donald Reif January 10, 2020 / 3:45 pm

I’m guessing that means it’s running almost on a daily schedule. To be honest I would argue that’s maybe a good thing since the Christie Peak Express can’t handle all of the traffic that doesn’t want to use the Gondola.

• Ryan December 20, 2020 / 2:44 pm

And here in the winter of 2020 they are running this lift again daily. More likely this time due to COVID spacing? Regardless, it’s good to see this old girl turning.

• Donald Reif December 20, 2020 / 3:53 pm

Maybe they’ll also run Priest Creek more.

• Ryan December 29, 2020 / 4:34 pm

I’m such an idiot. It wasn’t Christie III that I was seeing turning in the Christie Express Live Cam, it was Preview. Gah. I don’t know how much Christie III has run this season.

• Ryan January 6, 2021 / 2:08 pm

They have been running her this week for sure as it has been listed as Open in lift status vs the usual Secondary Lift, used as needed status. Some tracks from Priest Creek look to indicate they may have been running her as well from the holidays?

• Myles Svec January 6, 2021 / 5:08 pm

Yes I was in steamboat this week and they have been running it every day. I think only race team was riding it though.

• Ryan February 28, 2021 / 2:21 pm

She’s been running daily for the past few months, usually until 12:00PM, I’m guessing to assist with getting as many people out of the base area as possible, good idea.

5. Tyler January 24, 2021 / 9:57 pm

What happened to Christie I?

This turns out to have been a good one to keep alive in the Covid era, when the gondola is loading one group per cabin and the six pack is jammed too in the morning

• Myles Svec January 25, 2021 / 6:57 am

Christie I never existed. It has always been Chirstie II and Christie III then in 2007 the six pack replaced Christie II and a handful of other fixed grip lifts.

• Utah Powder Skier February 21, 2021 / 5:33 pm

Wasn’t Christie I the Cosmos double that predates the current lift? I’m pretty sure it existed.

• Myles Svec February 21, 2021 / 5:54 pm

Sorry I was confused. It was never referred to Christie I on trail maps and just Christie. Also Christie I was a Cosmos double that predated Christie II: a heron-poma double which then along with the other fixed grips in the base area was replaced by Christie Peak Express.