Cyclone – Sunrise Park, AZ

The second longest triple ever built in North America was retired in 2017.
A lone Doppelmayr tower.
Drive terminal.
Loading area. This was the 3rd of 5 Yans built at Sunrise in the 1980s.
Dropped counterweight.
Doppelmayr sheaves.
Most of the towers are full Yan.
Top terminal and last few towers.
Buried upper station.
There was a mid-station for repeat skiers; those looking to get over to Apache Peak rode to the top.
More hub cap sheaves.
Yan top bullwheel and operator shack.
Mid unload.
The short section above the midstation.
Towe 27.
Some sections still have comm line as of 2019.
A big breakover atop the steepest section.
The light side used to skip all of these towers.
Portal towers.
The top of the light side flyover.
Lower lift line.
The Doppelmayr tower.
Lift overview.
Advertisements

21 thoughts on “Cyclone – Sunrise Park, AZ

1. cameron January 7, 2019 / 3:16 pm

Why was it removed if it was an American record

• New England Chairlifts/Skiing January 8, 2019 / 4:35 pm

I heard it failed it’s inspection and it cannot Run. Also this lift didn’t have Yan chairs, it had doppy chairs. Looking at videos it seemed to have a good chair spacing, I’m having a Hard time believing there were 352.

• New England Chairlifts/Skiing January 8, 2019 / 4:41 pm

The main factor actually is the cable was faulty. Sunrise estimated it to cost $500,000 to repair it, which they couldn’t afford.

• Stevejetman January 17, 2019 / 5:55 am

The main reason was that while a Lift Maint Tech from Sunrise was doing some work to it in 2017 something faulty happened and he was killed. After that they were under considerable scrutiny because of the accident and they chose not to fix it as it would have cost a lot of money. I live here in the Phoenix area and I have skied here plenty of times as well as near Flagstaff at Snowball. So sad as Sunrise was the premier ski area here in Arizona in the 80’s and 90’s. no more.

2. Sam A. January 8, 2019 / 7:50 am

With the light side skipping all of those towers, I assume that this lift had a very low downhill capacity…

3. BRIAN WARD April 17, 2019 / 12:08 pm

So sad to see this ski area in general fall into its current state of disrepair. This used to be the premier ski area in Arizona. Not anymore.

• Stevejetman April 17, 2019 / 3:19 pm

I agree Brian. I ski’ed here in the 80’s, 90’s and into the 2000’s. It was the best one until then but then Snowball caught up to them and passed them big time. Now I go to Snowbowl. Way better.

• BRIAN WARD April 17, 2019 / 6:58 pm

By default we will continue to go and endure the conditions. My folks have a house in Pinetop which makes it way too convenient. We went to the Snowbowl for the first time in 30 years about a month ago on a Monday and I was blown away at the changes. That said, I will NEVER go to the Snowbowl on a weekend.

• Steven Melillo April 18, 2019 / 6:53 am

I agree. I never ski Snowbowl on the weekend. It’s crazy up there. I always ski there during the week. Just so you know I used to love Sunrise. We used to stay the night in Pintop and the town is beautiful and the people are friendly. I miss the Sunrise back in the day because of the 3 mountains, etc. I am sad it has gone downhill. The Tribe needs to hand it over to a Management Company and let them take it over because they aren’t doing a good job at all. Snowbowl is making a lot of improvements and the lifts are incredible. I love the upper bowls too above the tree line skiing.

4. Stevejetman April 17, 2019 / 3:20 pm

• Kyle W. April 30, 2019 / 4:16 am

The Northeast Passage triple at Killington was 9243 ft long before it was truncated into the Sunrise triple.

• Brian April 30, 2019 / 11:54 am

This ski area is run by the White Mountain Apache tribe. You would think that as a sovereign nation and the favorable tax status that one would presume that goes with it that they would have the cash to replace this chair like they did on the main Sunrise Mountain 20 years ago. Sadly, having watched this place fall into disrepair since then I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

• Somebody April 30, 2019 / 6:16 pm

Can you still ski most of the trails in this pod without the lift?

• Peter Landsman April 30, 2019 / 6:18 pm

It’s a 15-20 minute trek to get out there involving some uphill travel. I had one of the best powder runs of my season taking these pictures!

5. powderforever July 21, 2019 / 6:15 pm

Will they be able to afford a HSQ or will they have this area have no lift

• Donald Reif October 21, 2019 / 1:31 pm

Is $10 million reasonable or kinda cheap for a HSQ?

• powderforever45 October 21, 2019 / 5:38 pm

Kinda cheap considering Snow Bowl at Stratton was $7,112,862 and it was only 4606 ft long.

6. AvocadoAndy July 21, 2019 / 6:25 pm

This doesn’t strike me as a resort in a particularly sound financial situation. I think their best bet is to try to find something used, and typically speaking that wouldn’t be a detach.