Day Break – Park City, UT

Bottom terminal next to Dreamscape.
Yan terminal with hydraulic tensioning.
View back to the loading area.
Lower lift line.
View up the line.
Top shack and motor room.
Summit terminal.

7 thoughts on “Day Break – Park City, UT

1. Tyler February 23, 2019 / 5:29 pm

This is the former Quincy triple chair from Deer Valley, which itself was the former Wasatch triple from DV. The CTEC lifting frames (without the typical CTEC front catwalks) were added on top of the Yan crossarms in 1997 as part of the Quincy relocation (Wasatch didn’t have lifting frames). The Quincy HSQ reused many of the Yan tower tubes from Wasatch (which got all new towers in a slightly different alignment when it was replaced in 1996 by a CTEC HSQ). I believe the only new component on Day Break is the tower tubes. This is one of the few lifts at the Canyons with footrests (as it came from Deer Valley, which has footrests on every lift). Some extra chairs were used to replace the chairs on Short Cut in the early 2000s.

2. skitheeast May 25, 2020 / 12:46 pm

I believe this lift has a length of ~2950 feet and a line speed of 475-500.

It is a shame they did not extend the lift an extra ~1250 feet to the top of the ridge, as there is some nice steep, open terrain up there.

• jonathan May 25, 2020 / 9:55 pm

I agree. This lift NEVER gets busy. I feel like it would attract more people if they expanded it over the ridge. This lift has some cool yan sheave assemblies though.

3. skier6 May 25, 2020 / 10:48 pm

Yes, but I think this lift would attract more people if it was a detachable. This services some good terrain and would be a great pod to lap. Does anyone know if there is a detach planned for here?

• skitheeast May 26, 2020 / 12:43 am

I am not sure if there are plans, but if I am Vail, I am upgrading nearby Dreamcatcher and Dreamscape to detachable lifts before Day Break. Town and Pioneer would probably go detachable first as well just because they are longer, older, and arguably more important. There are also rumors of certain Canyon Village real estate projects being tied to Sunrise becoming detachable.

The problem with operating 37 lifts is that there are plenty of places that could use upgrades.

• skier6 May 26, 2020 / 7:30 am

Yes I agree. The Dreamcatcher and dreamscape pod does attract a good amount of people. I have been at dreamcatcher when the maze is full. If dreamcatcher is replaced with a detachable, this would make this area even more popular and spread things out more. That is just my opinion.

4. Tyler May 26, 2020 / 8:29 am

Dreamcatcher is job 1, then Pioneer. Day Break would be somewhere far down the list alongside maybe Thaynes due to age. The original equipment here is a 1981 Yan triple chair relocated three times but in its current form this is entirely a real estate access lift that doesn’t get any crowd.