Outback Express – Mt. Bachelor, OR

Top terminal.
Top and lift line.
Top station from below.
Top terminal.
Lift line.
Lower section of the lift line.
View up towards the summit.
Tower 4.
The lower station is height adjustable, maintenance rail and all.
Chairs parked on the rail.
Base terminal and lift line.
Side view of the return terminal.
Upper lift line view.

24 thoughts on “Outback Express – Mt. Bachelor, OR

1. Cameron Halmrast January 27, 2019 / 11:01 pm

The Outback Riblet double was removed when Northwest Express opened in 1996. In addition, this lift had its center arm rests removed for the 18/19 season with the addition of new seat pads and back rests.

• Donald Reif August 18, 2019 / 11:04 am

It and Green Chair were taken out of commission respectively when the Outback Express and Skyliner Express were built. But they stuck around for a couple years as maintenance lifts, I think: https://skimap.org/data/270/7/1209415902.jpg

• pbropetech January 18, 2021 / 9:20 am

I remember seeing the original Outback run, but by the time I got to the bottom of it it had shut down again. May have just been a weekly spin, I know they would do that from time to time.

• Donald Reif January 18, 2021 / 11:01 am

I get the feeling management probably used the old Outback chair and the Blue chair as ski patrol evac training areas for a couple years after the Outback Express and Skyliner went in.

• Donald Reif January 18, 2021 / 5:10 pm

In a way, the Outback Express functioned as a bit of an expansion, given it was installed on a longer alignment to serve Pine Marten Lodge.

2. Tyler February 5, 2020 / 11:29 pm

Are there any other height-adjustable CLD-260 terminals? Can’t think of any

• Ben Eminger March 19, 2020 / 10:07 pm

Original Pine Marten was, that’s the only other I can think of.

• Raj Thorp August 11, 2020 / 11:58 am

Vista Bahn was at Vail, but the Gondola replaced it.

• ALT2870 August 11, 2020 / 10:17 pm

I’m pretty positive Vista Bahn was not height adjustable. If so they did a dang good job at hiding it as it showed no evidence but there was no reason for it anyway. I’ll get in contact with my source who actually helped install it.

• Cameron Halmrast August 12, 2020 / 9:46 pm

Vista Bahn was not height adjustable. I think PMX and Outback are the only CLD-260s that are/were height adjustable. To my knowledge, I don’t believe Mt. Bachelor uses the height adjustment anymore on Outback as all the snow can now be pushed down towards Northwest Express.

3. Alec Mollenhauer January 18, 2021 / 8:47 am

Outback has been running at reduced speed since Christmas. Staff claims it is running at 3.8 m/s “due to insurance reasons”.

• Alec Mollenhauer January 18, 2021 / 8:57 am

I should also add they said it will be running slow the rest of the year.

• Robert Grossfeld January 18, 2021 / 12:10 pm

Why would they run it slow for insurance reasons? Are there problems with the lift and any plans to fix?

• Alec Mollenhauer January 23, 2021 / 9:29 pm

Supposedly it failed its high-speed test by the state. No further details other than that it will not be running at full speed at all this year.

• Myles Svec January 24, 2021 / 8:53 am

Looks like it’s coming closer to replacement time. I could see them do the same thing to this lift as they did to pine marten.

4. Erik February 22, 2021 / 2:47 pm

Waited in 45 minute lines on this lift several days last week. Combined with wind exposure, maintenance issues mentioned above, and all-around tired feel of this lift (it’s not exactly aging gracefully like old Riblets), it’s time to replace this with a detachable 6 at 3,600 pph. While they’re at it, they should do Pine Marten too; waited 20-30 mins there all week. Hopefully the one good outcome of the influx of new Ikon visitors is that they’ll have money to do some of these needed infrastructure upgrades.

• Myles Svec February 22, 2021 / 3:22 pm

I think they will do something like they did to Pine Marten here. 3,600 pph is too much capacity for this lift. I would say 3,200 pph 6 pack.

• Donald Reif February 22, 2021 / 6:24 pm

More likely 3,000 pph.

• Erik February 22, 2021 / 6:55 pm

Yeah, it’s 2800 already and I think the terrain can handle more. They could start with 3000 and add more chairs later if it’s a cost thing.

Now that I think about it, Skyliner could use this same treatment when the time comes. It’s only a couple years newer, but at least it seems to be in better shape and more shielded from the wind. Long lines there too.

• Donald Reif March 1, 2021 / 12:44 pm

Or maybe high speed six packs for Pine Marten and Outback, while using the current Pine Marten to replace Rainbow (extended to its original end point) or to cut additional trails to the southeast of Cloudchaser.

• julestheshiba February 22, 2021 / 3:24 pm

I personally love the old CLD-260 chairs, sad that they are becoming unreliable. It makes me wonder which one will be the last to be removed.

• Myles Svec February 22, 2021 / 3:42 pm

Probably Olympic at Nakiska because it isn’t used much and it’s in pretty good condition.

• julestheshiba February 22, 2021 / 4:59 pm

by that statement, Squaw One at Squaw Valley probably has some more life in it.