Priest Creek – Steamboat, CO

Lift line view.
This Yan lift has Heron-Poma chairs.
View up the line from the base terminal.
img_4865
The top station has a vault drive.
img_4874
Looking down from the summit.
img_4875
This lift is only used on weekends and holidays as relief for Sundown Express.
img_4879
Lower part of the lift line.
img_4884
Bottom station from above.

12 thoughts on “Priest Creek – Steamboat, CO

1. Donald Reif May 26, 2019 / 2:17 pm

A Yan return station and Yan towers, but Heron Poma chairs and a Heron Poma vault drive.

• pbropetech December 11, 2019 / 12:05 pm

Only one Yan tower. The rest are a different model of Heron, the last before they went bankrupt as far as I know. Steamboat had a few different lifts of different manufacturers that they had replaced the original bottom terminals with Yan for some reason.

• Donald Reif December 11, 2019 / 1:23 pm

Christie II was the same story, I think. It was entirely Heron-Poma except for its bottom terminal, which was a Yan. In that case, I think Yan replaced the Christie II loading area when they built Christie III, as the Christie II and III loading terminals shared a center mast.

• Max Hart December 16, 2019 / 3:37 pm

The Snowdon Triple at Killington (1973) has similar Heron-Poma towers and crossarms. Not the style seen on the old North Ridge Triple, but a reinforced variant of the crossarm seen on this lift.

Liked by 2 people

• Donald Reif January 14, 2020 / 9:36 am

Now I see the similarity.

2. powderforever45 November 17, 2019 / 12:21 pm

I have been going to steamboat for 9 years and I have almost never seen this lift run.

• Teddy's Lift World January 14, 2020 / 1:28 pm

On what occasions did it run? Wind hold? Maintenance issues? Skier traffic?

• Mike B February 10, 2020 / 3:16 pm

It’s run during Christmas holiday season last couple times I visited. I even took it a few times b/c it was ski-on while the line for Sundown Express spilled out of the corral.

3. Larry Schroeder February 10, 2020 / 2:24 pm

I remember when the loading area for Priest Creek was lower near the original Elkhead lift. Both with Heron-Poma equipment. Priest Creek got the Yan bottom terminal when Yan put in the F/G Sundown triple lift.

• Donald Reif February 10, 2020 / 3:22 pm

And Elkhead’s fixed grip quad went in just a year after the Sundown triple went in.

That at least explains why the lift has a Yan return station while everything else is Heron-Poma. I wonder how many towers had to be removed during the modification.

4. Collin Parsons March 11, 2020 / 9:49 pm

When I went to Steamboat for Christmas 2015, this lift ran all the days I was there. It was very crowded with Sundown having a 15-20 minute line at times.

5. sullivanq March 12, 2020 / 6:00 am

haha try going to wachussett mountain on a bluebird. 30 minute lift line, minimum. They could really use some more terrain, but the treehuggers won’t let em.