Willoughby – Burke Mountain, VT

This CTEC quad replaced a twenty year old Hall double in 1988 and reused its tower tubes and top terminal support.
Top station and breakover towers.
Side view of the top station.
Lift line with chairs removed.
Hall tower tubes with CTEC crossarms.
Middle section of the lift line.
Lower part of the line.
Enterprise model drive/tension station.
View up from the base.
Tower 2.
Chairs removed for maintenance.

12 thoughts on “Willoughby – Burke Mountain, VT

1. skier72 March 17, 2020 / 12:03 pm

So… Burke had a 1988 CTEC quad, some Hall parts, but still, a good quad chair. And, they’re letting it rot here? Why wouldn’t they try to sell this to another mountain? I can think of plenty of mountains that would love a quad chair. It just seems kinda odd to just leave it here.

• Teddy's Lift World March 17, 2020 / 2:18 pm

I think they’re planning on using it for an expansion, but if not, I totally agree.

• skier72 March 17, 2020 / 2:51 pm

Idk if they will re-use it. I hope so because I hate to see a perfectly good lift in such bad condition. Here are a few newer photos from 2018 (taken from NewEnglandSkiHistory.com)

2. xlr8r March 17, 2020 / 2:36 pm

What would be nice and I believe was proposed under the Q ownership was to shorten it to the mid point of Warrens Way to provide a mid mountain intermediate pod. One of Burke’s biggest problems is that it has a great beginner area, but after that skiers need to go off the summit to ski any blue terrain.

3. New England Chairlifts & Skiing March 17, 2020 / 5:05 pm

Anybody know when this lift last ran? It sat idle for several seasons until it was officially decommissioned.

4. Mason Schade March 18, 2020 / 7:17 am

I think this last ran the season before Mid-Burke was installed, I ski here a lot and I haven’t seen it run since before Mid-Burke.

• New England Chairlifts & Skiing March 18, 2020 / 12:21 pm

It definitely has run, but I’m not sure if they’ve opened it to the public or not

5. Snipefarmer March 18, 2020 / 10:57 am

Burke is currently (2020) “owned” by Jay Peak Receivership, the SEC-appointed receiver dealing with the fallout of the Quiros Ponzi scheme. They’re entertaining bids for Jay Peak, but have not tried to sell Burke yet – apparently the finances are so bad there would be no interest from buyers. The resorts are being managed by a third-party company who are in the business of running failed resorts, not selling used chairlifts.

Between the ski area not having a buyer, and Kingdom Trails losing a big chunk of their easements last fall, the town of East Burke could be in for some tough times ahead. Having the US-Canadian border closed isn’t going to help any, either.

6. Elmore.md December 6, 2020 / 7:58 pm

This lift is definitely is some rough shape. A relocation idea could be interesting, but likely expensive and not realistic for Burke’s financial capabilities. I’m not sure this is when it last ran but I saw it run once on 2015.

7. Sam Altavilla July 29, 2021 / 1:29 pm

This lift is completely inoperable in its current state. Just visited and took a real good look at what I could. The entire tower safety circuit (around the bottom at least) has been dismantled and brittle bars are nowhere to be found. All electronics, except for the drive and main breaker have been ripped apart (wires cut and everything). The bottom lift shack is no longer structurally intact, with significant vandalism, including the door being ripped off and thrown to the side. Not to mention the whole area around the lift is overgrown 2+ ft tall weeds. I don’t see what their intention is at this point, and I honestly think its sad to see a lift sit abandoned surrounded by an otherwise pretty well-kept area.

• ne_skier July 29, 2021 / 3:34 pm

I could see the good parts being sold as spares but the rest is destined for the scrapper. Burke evidently did not need a lift here, or else they wouldn’t have put in the money to take it down. With the lift not operating for at least 3 years, being in the condition it’s in, plus the fact that it reuses many half-century old Hall parts such as tower tubes, I don’t see anyone buying this lift for reinstallation. It’ll either get parted out or become another Devil’s Fiddle.