Ski Bluewood, WA

Click on a lift’s name for pictures. View in fullscreen↗

7 thoughts on “Ski Bluewood, WA

1. julestheshiba January 17, 2020 / 12:57 pm

Is it just me, but I really like these small ski areas that still look the way they did when they first opened.

2. Will January 25, 2020 / 5:48 pm

Skied Bluewood today, seems like a pretty cool place!

I was surprised to learn that that they are only using about 400 acres of their lease from the forest service, which in total is about 1700 acres.

Appearently they want to replace Skyline Express with either a fixed grip or high speed quad. Based on it’s length and the topography (it’s a lot steeper and longer than it initially appears), I think a high speed quad would be the way to go.

I also heard they were thinking of putting a lift up Vintner’s Ridge.

While Skyline Express hasn’t become dangerous like the lift at Timberline, WV, the 1978 Borvig is showing it’s age. It has peeled paint on pretty much every chair, tower, and crossarm, and hanger, and the diesel engine at the bottom of the lift is probably the loudest lift motor I’ve ever heard. The wooden backrests are also banged up and have little to no paint left.

• julestheshiba March 3, 2020 / 9:47 am

I mean it is a giant turbocharged cat diesel but that just makes it quirky

• Will March 3, 2020 / 10:07 am

You’re right, it is kind of endearing.

• Enumclaw kid May 27, 2020 / 7:51 pm

After seeing this post a while back, I found a map online in a Forest Service document, but I can’t find it again.

The permit area includes the entire drainage to the west of the existing ski area, west of the ridgeline (Vintner’s Ridge) where Triple Nickel tops out, and north to the road. As noted, it’s more than double the size of the current area.

It appears it could be served well with either a single bottom to top chairlift; or, two short lifts, chair or surface, one to the ridgeline from midway down the westernmost current run and one as a return at the bottom to the top of Triple Nickel (like Honeycomb Return at Solitude, UT, or the new T-bar at Ski Cooper).

• Enumclaw kid May 28, 2020 / 2:31 pm

TBH, looking at Google Earth, they could make that drainage a large lift-served powder sidecountry area, a la Southback at Crystal or whole swaths of Powder Mountain, UT, with just one ~1200 foot long surface lift returning from the vicinity of FS road 725 to the top of Triple Nickel, plus a marked or cut traverse/hike from the top of Skyline.

For all I know, having never skied there, people might already go OB and ski that route, and hitch back up the road.

3. Ben Eminger May 26, 2020 / 10:57 pm

I’m not sure this place has the crowds or funds to warrant an HSQ. I think a new FGQ would be a nice upgrade, based on what I’ve heard though it appears this Borvig has aged better than many eastern ones. Plus to my knowledge this place has some of the only western Borvigs (excluding the defunct one at Red Lodge).