Deer Valley, UT

Click on a lift’s name for pictures.  View in fullscreen↗

17 thoughts on “Deer Valley, UT

1. Carson June 20, 2017 / 12:12 pm

Um I think that carpenter triple either went to be Viking,red cloud or crown point
    Carpenter express is actually still a yan! Just has new terminals I think.

2. Erik June 24, 2017 / 3:29 pm

Carpenter Express may be Garaventa CTEC when built in 1996, but it reused the towers the old high-speed quad had, so Carpenter Express is Garaventa CTEC/Lift Engineering (Yan). The only thing of yan is the towers with most of the tower heads.

3. carson July 20, 2017 / 11:28 am

Does anyone know were Clipper was?

4. Erik November 1, 2017 / 7:10 pm

You put it on Silver Lake, not Silver Strike. To help you, Silver Lake Express actually has 133 chairs

5. Thomas Jett October 3, 2018 / 9:30 pm

Hi, Peter. I’ve been compiling a Google Earth version of your database, and I’ve come across four lifts at Deer Valley that seem to have statistical errors:

Silver Lake Express: Incorrect vertical. This may be the result of the fact that you are counting both the rise and fall over Bald Eagle Mountain, instead of having them cancel out.

Lady Morgan Express: The lift is far shorter than the value you have written.

Viking: Again, the lift is shorter than the entered value.

Snowflake: You have the old length and vertical entered, from before the bottom station was moved uphill.

• Peter Landsman October 4, 2018 / 6:08 pm

Garaventa CTEC’s installation history has Silver Lake at 1,398. I agree they added the two rises rather than listing the net number. Do you have that?

Lady Morgan came directly from Doppelmayr. I agree it is shorter. Have a number?

Yan’s installation data lists Viking as 150 feet long, which is obviously wrong. Again, have a better number?

• Thomas Jett October 5, 2018 / 12:50 am

I do. These numbers come from Google Earth, so I’d say that there’s a 50′ margin of error on all of them.

Silver Lake (vertical): 908′

Lady Morgan (length): 2786′

Viking (length): 603′

Snowflake (length): 773′
        (vertical): 113′

I’m in the process of mapping out every lift, so as I find more discrepancies, I’ll let you know.

6. Carson November 22, 2018 / 8:37 pm

Were did homestake go to?

7. carson December 8, 2018 / 9:50 pm

Why replace Homestake? It’s not much longer than the other fixed grips. And there is no use really for it cause most people take Sliver Lake down.

• Tyler February 23, 2019 / 7:25 pm

Homestake was out of commission with a gearbox failure for a while during spring 2018. Rather than an expensive fix, chance for an upgrade for a bottleneck spot. It’s in a sweet spot like the old Ruby and Deer Crest where the fixed chair is long enough to be annoying at a place like DV but the HSQ is short.

Also, Bob Wheaton, the old CEO of DV who now works at Alterra HQ, is on the board of the Olympic Park and may have found a way to kill two birds with one stone. Alterra probably got a nice tax writeoff for it.

8. themav June 13, 2019 / 9:44 pm

Something interesting I noticed while mountain biking up there today.

1. Silver Lake is getting Deasonbuilt bike carriers. I briefly watched while they installed one or two. These are the kind where it attaches to the chair bail.
    2. Homestake HSQ has center-pole Deasonbuilt bike carriers on it. Looks like maybe DV has plans to run that lift in the summer now?

Silver Lake getting bike carriers makes tons of sense, especially since there is almost no parking up at Silver Lake this year, due to the construction. DV is trying to encourage people to park at Snow Park, and getting rid of the annoying hooks will help with that.

I have no idea what their plans are with Homestake, other than prevent bikers from having to do the short climb up to the mountain summit.

• themav June 14, 2019 / 9:08 am

I managed to find the official summer trail map. This year they will not be running Ruby, so DV will still only be spinning three lifts this summer. My guess is this is supposed to create another portal out of Silver Lake, and encourage more utilization of the front side mountain. I think this is a great thing.

9. New England Chairlifts/Skiing July 3, 2019 / 11:55 am

What happened to the ruby quad when it was replaced with a G-CTEC HSQ? It was only a few years old.

10. powderforever45 December 1, 2019 / 8:33 pm

Do any of the high speed quads warrant enough traffic for a six pack?