Franz’s – Whistler Blackcomb, BC

Upper section of the line with Poma chairs and towers.
Doppelmayr tower mixed-in with Poma ones.
Whistler Trip 199
Bottom fixed return.
Whistler Trip 211
Last two towers.
Whistler Trip 214
Poma Delta tri-leg drive station at the top.

12 thoughts on “Franz’s – Whistler Blackcomb, BC

1. Erik November 3, 2017 / 7:07 pm

Does this lift rarely run as backup to Big Red Express?

2. Mark October 10, 2019 / 9:52 am

To this day this is still the only lift I have never touched at Whistler Blackcomb, well, save for the one T-Bar that never runs on Whistler. I love the look of this lift, a really cool Doppelmayr-Poma hybrid which is pretty rare from my knowledge. Most hybrids are old lift companies mixed with modern lift company modernizations… Like a Riblet and Poma combo.

• John December 4, 2019 / 10:14 am

From what I remember (over 20 years ago, so memory gets faulty) there weren’t enough towers when they moved this from the Peak so Doppelmayr supplied one (they were building the Peak Express at the time). I notice WB has replaced the original carriers since I last rode it as well.

• Donald Reif December 4, 2019 / 1:22 pm

Those Omega carriers look like they were put on when the lift was reinstalled as Franz’s. Before then, it would’ve had Arceaux triple chairs and looked more like Crested Butte’s two triple chairlifts.

• pbropetech December 5, 2019 / 8:26 am

I definitely remember the original carriers being there after the move.

• Donald Reif December 30, 2019 / 9:36 am

Judging from the design of the number plates, the current chairs couldn’t have been put on Franz’s any later than 1999.

• Donald Reif January 1, 2020 / 6:26 pm

They are rarer than Yamas and DoppelmaYans.

3. powderforever45 December 29, 2019 / 9:11 pm

Franz’s was running today. So I assumed Big Red had bug lines today. Harmony’s lines were also really long where they had to have 8 lines that were really long feeding into the chairlift. Hope to see a HSQ upgrade for Franz’s soon.

4. powderforever45 January 1, 2020 / 5:11 pm

They are now going to regularly run Franz’s chair. I think the main reason is to avoid Franz’s run because it gets too icy for some people.