Porcupine – Snowbasin, UT

Bottom terminal building.
Loading area.
Crossing under the Needles Gondola.
Riding up.
Upper section of the lift.
Arriving up top.
Unload ramp.
Upper lift line.
Middle part of the line.

17 thoughts on “Porcupine – Snowbasin, UT

1. Cooper June 1, 2018 / 4:27 pm

I think you got the tensioning and drive switched around. If you look at this video I recently made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9iYYT06Mek

When I load the chair there are cables which are part of the counterweight that go inside where the door is saying “Authorized personal only”.
    Also at the top you can hear the engine running in the background.

2. snowbasinlocal12894 August 4, 2018 / 3:35 pm

Does anyone know why the climbout sheave trains are on the ground? I was on needles gondola and I was scratching my head why its it got dismantled? New sheave train?

• Michael August 4, 2018 / 10:49 pm

Routine summer maintenance?

• Ryan August 18, 2018 / 8:32 pm

Porky, Beckie, and MB are getting some heavy maintenance this year.

• Cooper August 19, 2018 / 8:07 pm

Yeah I was riding the gondola and the climbout sheaves on porcupine got replaced and the com line is very saggy atm.

3. Ryan August 20, 2018 / 5:17 pm

A few years back when I talked to Cole Steadman the lift supervisor there, (Has since moved on) they were quite pleased with how well Becker and Porky had held up over the years. Stadeli’s lifts were heavy duty and quite solid.

4. Somebody December 1, 2019 / 8:49 pm

Does anybody know why Stadeli never installed any detachables in the U.S.? Their 80s HSQs seem like they are better than what dopp/poma were offering at the time.

• Ryan December 13, 2020 / 2:32 am

No one ever ordered any from them I suppose.. That or they were not willing to build these over here? I don’t know…

• Utah Powder Skier December 13, 2020 / 2:40 pm

Stadeli never really made it in the US. They did fine in mid 60s, but by the time the 80s came around, Stadeli only installed lifts at Waterville NH and later Becker and Porky in 1986.

• Ryan February 25, 2021 / 11:43 pm

Taos got a few of them in the 80s as well. They also had one up in Idaho at Sun Valley in 72. I don’t think any made it to California, OR, or WA?

5. Donald Reif February 26, 2021 / 6:40 am

While on length this is a lift I’d consider for a high speed quad, I think Middle Bowl more urgently needs a detachable and Porcupine could make do with adding a loading carpet.

• Ryan December 28, 2021 / 12:34 pm

Well you were right about Middle Bowl! We are still waiting for Porky to open this season, but Becker just opened up today. I hope to get up there to see and try the loading carpet on Becker before they eventually replace her.

Liked by 2 people

6. Donald Reif January 23, 2022 / 1:46 pm

I think the big question at hand is, which of the two remaining triples will be the next to get upgraded to a detachable? Both are the same length and age, though serve entirely different types of terrain (Porcupine being all blues and blacks while Becker has one green on it) and likely have different traffic levels.

• 9412vcummins January 23, 2022 / 8:55 pm

I would think becker, but I think snowbasin needs to build there strawberry quad first because the strawberry gondola can become quite the bottleneck on the weekends

7. Ryan January 23, 2022 / 11:17 pm

I’m thinking they’ll cut a deal and replace both at the same time. I haven’t been up in awhile.. how congested does Porky get now a days?

• Utah Lost Ski Area Project January 24, 2022 / 10:06 am

Porky lift is almost never congested unless Strawberry, Needles and JP are closed for wind, which is a pretty rare occurrence. With the new Middle Bowl shifting skier traffic toward Needles, Porky hasn’t seen the usage it used to have prior to Middle Bowl’s replacement.