Snowbasin, UT

Click on a lift’s name for pictures.  View in fullscreen↗

28 thoughts on “Snowbasin, UT

1. Cooper March 27, 2017 / 5:34 pm

There is a typo on the spreadsheet on the little cat double. In the notes section.

2. carson June 18, 2017 / 3:35 pm

I will miss the wildcat triple. It was a classic thoinkol. They have been removing many ctec and thoinkols. I dont get why they do not sale them? does any one know why? they removed majestic from brighton and it was made in 1955 and it sold. Why not sale the newer lifts?

3. Cameron Halmrast June 18, 2017 / 5:01 pm

Snowbasin is owned by a multi-billion company. Snowbasin’s sister resort Sun Valley has given away lifts for free to other ski areas. Maybe no one was interested?

4. Carson June 20, 2017 / 11:55 am

I would be interested if I had land. I’ve been trying to get the lift…but snowbasin has been so difficult to contact.

5. Carson June 21, 2017 / 2:46 pm

Does anyone know if little cat sold?

• Ryan June 21, 2017 / 7:00 pm

Nope, it was scrapped in 2008. The chairs were sold off (I got me one) and a few parts of the lift made it I believe to Powder Mtn and Nordic Valley for their thiokol doubles at the time.

6. Ryan June 21, 2017 / 7:04 pm

There just isn’t any demand for a 40+ year old lift when there are 15-30 year old lifts on the market. They are great lifts, no doubt about it but just no demand.

7. carson September 28, 2017 / 4:50 pm

so just a few days ago i went up to snow basin to cheek out the progress. I fond both operator shacks in the parking lot. so the top operator shacks door was open so I went in and i found something on the controls. it said if the rollback button isn’t on push stop the lift and press restart. Because wildcat was not a very busy lift when I went up in winter. I think It had to do with the rollback on the controls how it would not light up.

8. Cooper November 4, 2017 / 9:11 am

The skilifts.org website says that John paul has dual tensioning. Probably because how long the lift is and all of the ups and downs on the lift line too.

• Cooper November 6, 2017 / 3:27 pm

Oh yeah dont forget to add Allen peak’s new tower in the spreadsheet.

9. Cooper December 4, 2017 / 3:57 pm

Wildcat chairlift is finished and not in construction anymore.

10. snowbasinlocal12894 October 15, 2018 / 6:29 pm

I found some old lift information you can add to the spreadsheet.

I was told in a instagram post that the old becker and porcupine were built by Poma telecar

The old porcupine platter (Before the double chair) ran from 1956-1961

Then the porcupine double ran from 1961-1986

The becker double chair ran from 1959-1987 Bottom drive

The Wildcat single chair 1948 Bottom drive

The Wildcat double 1964-1985 Bottom drive

Also you have the drive and tensioning switched up on porcupine triple. Drive is at the top and the tensioning is at the bottom. Check the video I posted on the comments of porcupine.

• Aidan November 29, 2019 / 4:05 pm

I think that the porcupine platter was built by Huntington.

11. Peter January 30, 2019 / 10:28 pm

Anyone know where I can find pictures of this so called underground parking garage for needles and John Paul Jones?

12. snowbasinlocal12894 February 14, 2019 / 3:25 pm

On wildcat express someone broke one of the loading gates closest to the return bullwheel and they are loading wildcat with 5 people only. I posted here because there is no comments enabled on wildcat express.

13. Utah Powder January 3, 2020 / 4:37 pm

The Constam T-bar was removed in 1976

14. Utah Powder January 4, 2020 / 5:13 pm

I found some lengths for some of Snowbasin’s old lifts:

The Wildcat Single had 120 chairs and 15 towers, 4800 feet in length, and could carry 300 people per hour.

The Wildcat Double had 16 towers, 5200 feet in length, and could carry 900 people per hour.

The Porcupine double was 4300 feet in length with a 1100 vertical rise and could carry 700 people per hour.

The Becker double had 76 chairs, 2500 feet in length, and 900 people per hour.

The Porcupine Platter was built by Huntington and ran from 1956 to 1961.

• Ryan Gardner January 4, 2020 / 9:58 pm

Who built the Wildcat, Porcupine, and Becker double?

• Utah Powder January 5, 2020 / 5:42 pm

The Becker, Porcupine, and Wildcat doubles were built by Poma-Telecar.

15. theskiman50 January 25, 2020 / 3:35 pm

I heard a rumor by ski partol that becker or middle bowl might get replaced with a high speed lift either six or quad this coming summer. We will have to see.

• Carson January 25, 2020 / 6:35 pm

The plan to replace middle bowl Becker and porcupine but I don’t thing it is happening this year the main reason why I say this is because the gm at the mountain I was talking to said that is about 2-3 years out but their plan is to replace those all soon but in the end I hope the lifts all end up selling to other mountains

• Donald Reif January 25, 2020 / 8:39 pm

High speed quads on all three of those lift lines would make the whole main part of Snowbasin detachable lift serviced. Hopefully that might come with the proposed high speed quad for Strawberry basin.

16. Utah Powder Skier February 18, 2020 / 6:18 pm

Here is some for information on some of Snowbasin’s removed lifts:

The Wildcat Single was built in 1946 and and had a bottom drive and top tensioning.

The Wildcat Double had a vertical rise of 1335 feet and a bottom drive.

The Becker Double had a vertical rise of 600 feet with a bottom drive.

The Porcupine platter tow had a capacity of 350 people per minute.

The Constam T-bar was called Powder Puff.