Quicksilver – Boreal, CA

This is one of the newest lifts at Boreal but apparently not allowed to operate anymore due to its design as of 2009.
Yan motor room up top.
Lift line seen from Donner Ski Ranch.
Note the comm line has broken.
Lift line overview.
Boreal can’t possible say this lift closed due to lack of snowfall in the area.
Side view of the return.
Towers with some sheaves removed.
Lower terminal buried.
Advertisements

19 thoughts on “Quicksilver – Boreal, CA

• ACA Allertor May 28, 2017 / 9:14 am

What is the problem with the carrier and sheaves? It’s just normal Yan stuff

• Jeff Lynne October 18, 2017 / 3:39 pm

Were the type 6 grips prone to slipping or breaking?

• John August 6, 2018 / 3:05 pm

What does California have against the Type 6? I’ve never heard of any problems on Loveland’s chair 2. It’s also the only lift I’ve seen with that grip, although it’s mentioned in our big book of Yan maintenance.

• Donald Reif June 18, 2019 / 11:33 pm

I think this is the sort of lift Doppelmayr could be hired to restore to working condition, given the number of Yans out there with Doppelmayr modifications.

1. CVS July 1, 2017 / 5:45 pm

I think Loveland may hove one of the last lifts with the Type 6 grips and assemblies on Chair 2.

2. Cameron Halmrast July 2, 2017 / 10:18 am

I think if Powder Corp wanted to get this lift running again, it would. It can easily relocate parts from Killington to get this lift running in one summer from some of its old Yan mothballed quads.

• Michael November 10, 2018 / 9:32 pm

The lift at Whistler is NOT a “twin” to this lift! This lift is/was a fixed grip quad and the lift involved in the Whistler accident was a detachable quad😡

• Mike Y January 25, 2019 / 6:14 pm

Yes, you are correct sir. It is not a twin, as I originally stated. However, when I worked at Boreal, I was told that the reason it was closed was because of the Whistler accident. From what I understand, it was impossible for them to get it cleared for operation ever again.

3. Miles December 21, 2018 / 7:16 pm

I was told they ended up using it as spare parts for 49er chair. They are the same model.

4. Joshua January 25, 2019 / 4:56 pm

How did this person get a picture of this lift so up close if it was closed?
    and they should remove the nugget chair lift blogs since boreal replaced the nugget chair with a new fixed grip doppelmayr quad chairlift called California Cruiser;

• Mike Y January 25, 2019 / 6:42 pm

Possibly skied out of bounds? Or they may have snowmobiled in from old Hwy. 40. I know there’s a way through since Boreal will transfer snow cats between themselves and their sister, Soda Springs Resort in the middle of the night.

• snowbasinlocal12894 January 25, 2019 / 7:05 pm

Some resorts will let you ski out of their resort boundary but its not recommended the main reason being avalanches and snow coverage. Ski at your own risk. Im not sure about this particular resort though.

• Mike Y January 25, 2019 / 7:15 pm

I know it happens here, and they will revoke a ticket or pass sometimes if you do ski out of bounds. From time to time Ski Patrol will clip a corner of a pass as a warning so if they get caught again, they will revoke it. Sometimes Boreal will get a call from Donner Ski Ranch saying they have a Boreal customer asking what they should do with them. Usually they just put them on a lift and send them back.

5. Joshua January 28, 2019 / 10:03 am

Wait yan has quad chairs?
    I thought it only made triple and double chairs