- Australia’s Financial Review reports Vail Resorts will acquire Falls Creek and Mt. Hotham from Merlin Entertainments for about $85 million USD.
- With its purchase of Deer Valley, Alterra Mountain Company now owns about half the land under Park City’s Jupiter chair.
- Gore Mountain evacuates the Northwoods Gondola by rope.
- Salt Lake City is selected to bid for another Winter Olympics.
- Telluride CEO Bill Jensen joins CNBC’s Squawk Box to discuss the economics behind the Epic and Ikon passes.
- The top shack of Anthony Lakes’ only chairlift blows over just before planned opening day.
- The Adventure Group of Whistler proposes building a 9,000′ gondola on Oahu. Hawaii is one of only five U.S. states currently without an aerial lift.
- Mt. Spokane grows by 279 acres with seven new runs and a Skytrac named Northwood.
- Europe’s new highest ropeway is also the pinnacle of industrial design.
- The Hunter North expansion and shiny Northern Express six place chairlift launch Christmas Eve.
- Days before the second DirectDrive detachable is set to open at Copper, Jon Mauch of Leitner-Poma answers questions about the new lifts.
- In France, La Plagne announces an indefinite closure of the first French-manufactured LST detachable due to technical problems.
- Cherry Peak is set to open a third chairlift this season after three years of construction.
- Shuttered Mt. Timothy, BC is purchased by investors who plan to reopen it.
- Vail Resorts-operated Mt. Sunapee is approved to expand into West Bowl.
- The Zugspitze Cable Car reopens today with a new cabin exactly 100 days after this accident.
- Bromont inaugurates North America’s eighth combination chair/gondola lift, L’Express du Village, Sunday morning.
- Check out these photos of the Snowbowl Express build and sweet new color scheme at Stratton.
West bowl express at sunapee?
Alterra should sell a portion of that Jupiter parcel to Powdr, then Powdr should implement a complicated lease renewal term
LikeLiked by 4 people
I find it Unfortunate that Copper went with Blue bubbles instead of Orange.to match their name
“Alterra Mountain Company now owns about half the land under Park City’s Jupiter chair.”
I was rolling on the ground when I read this. That is awesome. I hope Alterra hangs onto it just to screw with Vail.
However this isn’t the only case of one ski area operator/owner owning land under another’s lift. Alta owns some of the land under Solitude’s Summit Express (again with the “Only in Utah”).
What could alterra do with the land under park city’s jupiter chair?
Be a thorn in Vail’s side
LikeLiked by 2 people
Very excited that Utah beat out Colorado for the olympic bid. We just don’t have the infrastructure (roads) right now to support such a feat and everything good is too far away from Denver. Utah has the strong volunteer base and it won’t require a ton of new building since they can use what was there previously.
More information about the closure of the LST prototype detachable:
Why is the Envers chairlift closed?
A new safety defect on the lift was discovered by the manufacturer during the tests. This flaw had not appeared before.
When did these tests occur?
SAP was restarting the lift in the month of November, in accordance with the usual and annual maintenance schedule. In addition, some online checks were made by the manufacturer. It is at this moment that a new defect was discovered.
What are the problems encountered?
There is a security defect that prevents us from obtaining the authorization to put it into operation. This authorization is conditioned by the resolution of the defects.
Why did the lift run last winter?
The online checks conducted last winter were conclusive and a provisional authorization to operate was obtained and renewed. This provisional authorization may be renewed only once.
What are the actions of the SAP?
The SAP as part of his contract, involves the builder. LST teams are on site. Our customers will be able to see on the camera at certain times. These are tests and not an opening of the chairlift.
Can we fix these defects?
Problem identification is in progress. Resolution requires the design and manufacture of new components. We do not currently know the design and manufacturing deadlines.
Is the quad chairlift likely to reopen this winter?
It is impossible to say at this date, let alone to engage. The SAP will communicate on the progress of the file.
What countervailing measures are put in place by the SAP?
In order to ensure a route from Montalbert to La Plagne in the best conditions and in complete safety for our customers, the SAP will groom the lower part of the Cornegidouille run every night.