News Roundup: New Names

14 thoughts on “News Roundup: New Names

1. Myles Svec November 13, 2020 / 2:45 pm

Steamboat also just delayed its opening day from November 21st to December 1st because they want more acreage to spread everyone out. Wonder if other places will do this also.

• Ryan Murphy November 13, 2020 / 3:50 pm

Solitude and Killington have also announced similar. The lack of cold temps/snow is not helping anything right now.

• skitheeast November 16, 2020 / 1:33 pm

Vermont overview as of now:
        Stratton also made an announcement saying it was unlikely they would open on their anticipated date of November 25th, so they join Mount Snow and Killington in the TBD based on weather club. Okemo has not announced a pushback from their November 21st date, but it looks to have been removed from their website as far as I can tell. Bromley has not said anything yet, and they are currently projecting November 27th, but I am not sure if they will make it if Stratton is unsure about November 25th.

The weather looks good for snowmaking the rest of this week, but it will be a bit warm this weekend into early next week before it gets back to snowmaking weather again (hopefully for good).

• ne_skier November 16, 2020 / 4:37 pm

Last I checked Magic’s calling 12/7, possible pushback to 12/12. I guess they have enough snowmaking capacity to open up some groomers in Sunshine Corner, the expert terrain is just a matter of waiting for a storm

• Ryan November 17, 2020 / 10:36 am

Gondola and Christie Express are turning full speed right now. Training I’m guessing.

2. ne_skier November 13, 2020 / 3:43 pm

Strange that Windham chose their most useless lift to rename after that ski patroller, guess they didn’t want to change anything too much. Now it’s just a matter of guessing how long until they just remove that lift.

3. Somebody November 15, 2020 / 1:49 pm

I’m sorry if you’ve answered this before Peter, but why does Jackson always open on Thanksgiving and close the first week of April? Is it the forest service contract or a business decision?

4. ah November 17, 2020 / 8:13 am

Any idea why Big Sky changed the lift name from Madison to Jayhawk? Both seem pretty innocuous.

5. skitheeast November 17, 2020 / 10:58 am

Crystal just announced the implementation of a reservation system. I would not be surprised if a few other Alterra resorts with historical capacity constraints, particularly Stratton, Steamboat, Squaw, Solitude, and Winter Park, joined them.

Liked by 2 people

• Donald Reif November 17, 2020 / 12:54 pm

These reservation systems (along with a bunch of the other mitigation measures) strike me as primarily being a “we gotta cover our asses in case we get sued” type thing (of course, ski areas already had to deal with other kinds of lawyers, like the ambulance chasers advertising on those billboards I remember seeing on I-70 many years ago)

• Myles Svec November 17, 2020 / 2:35 pm

Steamboat already has a reservation system so if you do not have a season pass you have to make a reservation.

• Somebody November 17, 2020 / 11:52 pm

Bit scummy but while I’d be disappointed, I wouldn’t be surprised.

I completely agree with Reif that this is a “please don’t sue us lol” thing rather than an actual precaution. If they actually cared at all about COVID safety, they’d close all dining, but instead, they’ll just shaft the season pass-holders for profit.

I’ve been saying this since March, but having everybody sacrifice to save a handful of high risk potential COVID patients really isn’t the solution. Let everyone do what they want, and then just don’t be the idiot who skis and sees grandma 4 days later.