Fire Damages Plattekill Mountain Chairlift

A lightning strike is believed to have started a lift shack fire at New York’s Plattekill Mountain Tuesday afternoon. The local fire department responded within 10 minutes and stopped flames from spreading to the double chair‘s drive terminal. “A special thanks to our first neighbor just below the mountain who saw the fire and called it in, and the swift response of the Roxbury Volunteer Fire Department they were able to save our base terminal and ensure that we shall ride again this winter,” the mountain wrote on social media.

The Hall double was installed at Plattekill in 2002 but originated at nearby Belleayre in 1977. Fiercely independent Plattekill normally runs the lift in the summer for weddings but has already made plans to switch scheduled events to its other chairlift. “Efforts are already underway scouring the supply chain to source parts and rebuild,” the ski area said, noting the shack housed the lift’s DC drive and controls. Other resorts and a local lumber company have already offered to help. Specifics on what parts are needed can be found here. “The outpouring of support from friends and other ski areas is overwhelming and reminds us what is so amazing about our industry,” Plattekill said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s