- With approvals inked, Steamboat considers whether to build a second gondola or the Pioneer Ridge expansion first.
- The Kohlmaisbahn in Saalbach, Austria becomes the first gondola spotted with Omega V cabins.
- The Hermitage may miss Christmas.
- Catch a glimpse of the new Winter Park gondola cabins. Killington too!
- The eight urban gondolas in La Paz transported a 318,532 riders last Wednesday – a crazy new single day record.
- Thanks to community support, Antelope Butte is poised to reopen with two chairlifts.
- After having its summer camp shut down by the state of New Hampshire, Granite Gorge likely won’t open for downhill skiing this winter.
- The ex-Gore Mountain employee who claimed he was left on a lift overnight last winter is convicted of making a false statement to police and ordered to pay a $1,000 fine.
- Mont Gleason, Quebec will build a fixed grip quad with loading carpet next summer.
- The Iron Mountain Tramway in Glenwood Springs is carrying its final riders next Sunday as Leitner-Poma mobilizes to build an improved gondola this winter.
- Thanks to Jared Emerson for taking me around the newest North American lift by LST Ropeways at Waterville Valley. She’s a beauty!
What Steamboat needs the most is another HSQ/Six lift or Gondola in the base area to get skiers up and away from the base area and to be able to access upper mountain lifts. If the Gondola goes down, it’s hell to pay.
The proposed gondola to Bashor/Rough Rider would do that, funneling skiers to an area near the base of Thunderhead, which could also be upgraded to a HSS.
I hope Steamboat adds the second gondola before looking to Pioneer Ridge. It would actually be nice if they added terrain below the existing Sundown Express/Elkhead area allowing skiers to return to the base without having to go back to Thunderhead. That’s probably a pipe-dream.
Who is building the new lifts at Antelope Butte?
The lifts are not new, just newly maintained after 14 years of disuse.
Yup, some recycled Ribbie/Ribbie hybrid love! Love it when they bring back to life some old left to rot lifts. They haven’t carried skiers in 14 years and based on the photos taken earlier by Peter, vandals had gotten to them, but the damage done seems to have been.. minimal and cosmetic?
Wow! I’m so happy that they are refurbishing a Riblet and a SLI. I hope all goes well. It’s really a great thing to see these lifts being brought back to life. Just looking at the pictures all they need is new sheaves, new lift operator houses, new motors (maybe), the rust taken off of them and some seat pads for the chairs.
Will be cool to see them running again.
Been waiting for them to reopen, been planning a Eastern MT/SD trip for years. But now Mystic Miner is closed. Anybody have news on that? The bankruptcy purchaser should have had ownership as of last month.