News Roundup: Rope Time

• Searchmont, Ontario sells to Wisconsin Resorts, the firm behind Pine Knob, Mt. Holly and Ski Bittersweet in Michigan as well as Alpine Valley, Wisconsin.
  • Mike Solimano of Killington reveals what three lifts he would upgrade if given $100 million to spend at The Beast.
  • The new Winter Park gondola is creatively named Gondola.
  • Grand Junction’s NBC affiliate takes viewers inside the factory where Leitner-Poma lifts are created.
  • The two stage Blackcomb Gondola is almost finished; thanks Max for these pictures.
  • Next up for Ramcharger 8 at Big Sky: installation of an in-terminal video wall and the haul rope, which is going up right now.
  • Beech Mountain commissions its twin fixed grip quads.
  • Freeskier looks at Alterra’s whirlwind growth and future trajectory.
  • Rope pulling commences tonight at Walt Disney World, 24 years to the day since the Disneyland Skyway cable was taken down for good.
  • This week’s new trail map comes from Hunter Mountain.
  • In an act of sabotage, someone cuts into three haul ropes at a Pyrenees ski resort.

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “News Roundup: Rope Time

1. Ian M. November 9, 2018 / 11:28 am

The new gondola on blackcomb creates a rare gondola crossing another separate gondola. I’m guessing Europe has a few examples but I can’t think of any others in North America. Thoughts?

• Peter Landsman November 9, 2018 / 5:32 pm

There are no other places in North America where two gondolas cross.

2. Henry Rodgers November 9, 2018 / 2:57 pm

Hey Peter, I was wondering how expensive you would guess Ramcharger 8 was for Big Sky? Do you have any estimate?

• Peter Landsman November 9, 2018 / 5:29 pm

Putting me on the spot Henry! I’m going to guess $13-17 million including the parking facility. Ramcharger isn’t that long but there are a lot of upgrades compared with a normal detachable. Doppelmayr could have sacrificed its typical margin to get the technology into the US market. While I’d love to know the answer, Boyne made a classy move to advertise the lift and features rather than how much it cost.

• Thomas Jett November 9, 2018 / 8:01 pm

I’m surprised it was that cheap. I remember reading about Kitzbuhel getting an 8-pack that cost ~$20 million.

3. Ben November 9, 2018 / 6:36 pm

Does Max have any more wb gondola pics?

• Max November 10, 2018 / 12:58 am

Hey Ben, Depends what you’re after- I could only get pictures of the bottom station.

4. nick12 November 9, 2018 / 6:52 pm

According to a FB post on Mammoth snowman chair 16 could possibly be an 8 seater.

5. AvocadoAndy November 9, 2018 / 11:23 pm

Did they shorten the towers on Excalibur so the gondola could cross over? It’s hard to tell from the picture, but I do recall them being pretty tall to get over Wizard, and I’d imagine they’d have to in order to get a lift over them.

6. Bob November 10, 2018 / 7:12 am

“Without ski mechanics to keep the lifts running, you wouldn’t have a ski resort… “