- Attitash’s Summit triple is down indefinitely again, this time with a gearbox issue. Peak Resorts executives say even if they wanted to replace the lift with a detachable, there is about a two year wait with both lift companies.
- Northstar California partially evacuates the Promised Land Express by rope on a busy Sunday.
- The new master plan for Timberline Lodge prescribes replacing Pucci with a detachable quad and Bruno’s with a series of carpets.
- At Pajarito, Townsight will end up missing the entire season due to unspecified mechanical issues.
- Alyeska retires its last of seven Riblet double chairlifts, Tanaka.
- A six year old falls 29 feet from an Eldora chairlift after failing to load properly and a petition is asking for policy changes.
- The founder of The Hermitage Club is contesting a no trespass order.
- A child falls from Park City’s Silverlode Express.
- Architectural Digest profiles leading resort design firm SE Group.
- Leitner will build what is sure to become an iconic 3S gondola between Switzerland and Italy from 2021.
- 2019/20 Ikon Passes go on sale March 5th and are virtually unchanged from this season’s versions.
- Tuesday is also the day you should vote if you live in Aspen.
- Timberline, West Virginia throws in the towel and the local paper has an update on the the circumstances.
- A night evacuation takes place at Ski Vorlage.
- James Coleman’s brand new bike park is already a hit.
- Five teenagers perform a flawless catch of a Screaming Eagle lift dangler and earn free Grouse Mountain season passes.
- Somehow a sit skier and lift operator both fall 17 feet from Snowmass’ Elk Camp quad on Tuesday.
- Following a brutal 16 day road closure, Snow Valley eyes a Saturday reopening.
- Bloomberg Businessweek visits the Vail/Alterra HQs and catches up with partners like Boyne Resorts and Telluride.
So in lieu of pursuing a gondola connection to Government camp, especially now that Timberbunny has bought the Summit ski area. They have instead decided to try and build more parking and facilities at the bottom of Molly’s? The hippies are going to eat them alive. Hippies = Friends of Mt Hood, that have a history of trying to stop all upgrades in ski areas on Mt Hood.
I’m also confused by this. It sounds like they’re releasing a separate master plan for Summit. Have they given up on the Gondola entirely?
The traffic issue is Timberline Road (more so than 26), so why would they want to direct more traffic into that road?
There’s a great podcast episode with Jeff Kohnstamm, President of Timberline, that was posted recently.
Jeff says they are looking at options for a separate Summit Ski Area master plan and that could include a connection to Timberline.
I think they should build a 2 stage gondola with the first stage from the bottom of Summit to the bottom of Jeff Flood and the second stage replacing Jeff Flood which could be relocated to replace Pucci.
At nordic valley Apollo is out of commission because of gearbox failure. At snowbasin they fixed the loading gate on wildcat express. Apparently during a race a athlete went into the loading gate at a high speed breaking the gate.
Looks like the Epic Pass will also go on sale Tuesday.
Attitash probably *really* regrets removing top notch right about now. Seriously though, wtf is wrong with summit? It’s a 33 year old lift, and its a CTEC. It’s not like its super old or by a janky manufacturer like yan, its a normal lift.
I know right. It’s like the lift gods are punishing them for their sin of removing a classic Hall lift.
But seriously, Top Notch didn’t run a single day in 17-18. I’m not sure if it was even currently maintained/inspected.
But Yan fixed grips are generally super reliable. It’s just their detachables that suck.
LikeLiked by 1 person
looks like i visited Attitash and filmed Summit at the right time! That lift be mad broken!
Loveland closed today after a power outage :(
If/when Timberline moves forward with their rumored gondola from Summit, I hope they’re prepared to deal with improving the traffic flow around the Summit base area/rest area. Right now it is an absolute mess and this would only make things worse, especially on peak days.
It will never happen, but I still dream of a day when Timberline and Mt. Hood Meadows are connected by 3S (or similar) Gondola over White River Canyon…
LikeLiked by 1 person
I love how Attitash says there is a two year wait for “both” manufactures. I find that hard to believe. I find it even harder to believe that something couldn’t be imported if it really had to be (wink wink Leitner system, L-P Group Multix, D-Line, or even BMF).