Every Tuesday, I feature my favorite Instagram photos from around the lift world.
Every Tuesday, we pick our favorite Instagram photos from around the lift world.
The High Life | Photograph by Heather West @westerleigh A rainy-day view from the Peak 2 Peak gondola, which spans 2.7 miles between Whistler Mountain and Blackcomb Peak in British Columbia. At its highest point, the Peak 2 Peak is suspended 1,427 feet above the valley floor, earning it a Guinness World Record in 2015 for being the world’s highest gondola lift. This weekend we're showcasing Your Shot photos selected for May’s Photo of the Day collection on natgeo.com. See the link in our profile for more stunning photos. #gondola #britishcolumbia #whistlermountain #blackcomb #peak #cablecar #yourshot #guinnessworldrecord #pod
- Sugarloaf’s Whiffletree high speed quad (shown above) will be down 1-2 weeks while its gearbox gets rebuilt in Michigan for the second time in six months. Cone Drive rebuilt the gearbox in question last Fall and it was back in action a mere two months before failing on Saturday. Whiffletree is a 1997 Garaventa CTEC Stealth detachable at a mountain that’s had more than its fair share of lift setbacks.
- Doppelmayr’s latest Wir magazine is online. Some article highlights: the Penkenbahn 3S gondola turns 6.5 degrees mid-line and Park City’s new gondola transitions between two different line gauges.
- Leitner Ropeways will break ground on a two-stage gondola in Berlin March 26th to serve guests of the city’s 2017 horticultural expo. Doppelmayr built temporary gondolas at similar expos in 2009 and 2011. Must be nice to spend millions on lifts for four months of temporary operation! To be fair, Whistler did something similar for the Olympics.
- Garaventa crews pulling rope 600 feet above Ha Long Bay but they took some time off to celebrate the Lunar New Year. The world’s largest aerial tramway opens next month.
- The Telluride-Mountain Village gondola transit system, built by CTEC in 1992, has clocked 100,000 hours and elected officials are trying to figure out how to modernize it.