- Skiing is open this weekend in Alberta, Colorado, Minnesota, New Jersey Ontario and Wisconsin!
- Garibaldi at Squamish releases new renderings of what could be a $3.5 billion project.
- Searchmont holds off on making snow, offering lodging or selling passes and will only install one of the two Skytrac lifts it ordered due to Coronavirus.
- In a rare interview, John Cumming tells the story of Powdr.
- Big Snow and American Dream post promising attendance numbers after reopening.
- The latest capacity management video from SAM and Snow Operating focuses on lift capacity math in the Covid era.
- With two operating and five more under construction, Mexico’s capital region considers building even more urban gondolas.
- The gondola network in Puerto Vallarta appears complete but surrounding theme parks and hotels have a long way to go.
- Skeetawk has a trail map and will open for the very first time December 5th.
- Only one of Shanty Creek Resorts’ two Michigan ski areas will open this winter.
- Following the death of its owner, Granite Gorge does not plan to operate this year.
- Frustrated at lack of investment, local business owners look into buying Mont-Sainte-Anne from Resorts of the Canadian Rockies.
- A three gondola system connecting various points in Park City would cost an estimated $64 million to build with $3.5 million in annual operating costs.
- The Freedom Pass comes back but with fewer participating resorts than in years past.
- With revenue down eight figures, the Palm Springs Tramway takes out a $15 million loan.
- French President Emmanuel Macron orders the country’s ski resorts closed until at least December 1st due to rising coronavirus cases.
- Of 6,521 comments the Utah Department of Transportation received on Little Cottonwood Canyon options, 78 percent were pro-gondola.
- Granby Ranch will reopen under new management December 11th with more than $1 million invested in lift maintenance and snowmaking.
- Soldier Mountain gives another fire recovery update.
- Technical Safety BC releases an incident report and technical analysis from the latest Sea to Sky Gondola incident (both are heavily redacted so as not to impede the ongoing criminal investigation.)
- Camelback’s new Sunbowl Quad nears completion.
Valle Nevado, part of the huge Tres Valles ski area in Chile, is contemplating bankruptcy after a dismal 2019 season and a non-existent 2020
They are also on the Ikon pass I’m pretty sure. I was going to go there last summer but all the hotels were booked.
I was at Big Snow the last 2 Tuesdays from around 4 to 6. Decent amount of people there both times, actually more than the one time we went before Covid. Most chairs had people on them, but never more than a 4 chair wait. Great place for the kids to learn to snowboard, won’t have to waste a ski day an actual mountain. Lots of people enjoying the park too. Hope things continue to go well for that place, been a long road to get it open for sure.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Garibaldi at Squamish is basically the Half Life 3 of ski areas.
And skiing is ending for now on Monday in Austria, after Italy already closed after last weekend. At least I got lot of days on the amazingly good October snow in already.