- The Utah Department of Transportation selects a 3S gondola as the preferred alternative in Little Cottonwood Canyon.
- The Salt Lake Tribune looks at who’s funding the pro- and anti-gondola camps.
- More Epic chair sales are coming at Jack Frost and Big Boulder.
- Sierra at Tahoe nears completion of West Bowl fire recovery work with more than five million board-feet of timber removed.
- The Edmonton Ski Club receives $800,000 in public funds to stay afloat.
- Midwest Family Ski Resorts completes its acquisition of Big Snow, Michigan, will re-brand as Snowriver Mountain Resort and retire the Blackjack/Indianhead names.
- The Tulsa gondola showdown continues.
- A dedicated lift-served bike park may still be coming to the Colorado foothills.
- The Idaho Springs gondola project wins an $8.7 million lawsuit judgment, vows to move forward despite years of setbacks.
- Sandia Peak again won’t offer skiing in 2022-23.
- Ikon Pass adds Panorama, BC and another Japanese resort.
- British Columbia approves construction of a new T-Bar at Troll.
- Mt. Holly, Michigan announces a new detachable quad for 2023.
- Doppelmayr pieces back together the lift which was swallowed by a sinkhole last year in Northern Quebec.
- Kirkwood’s old beginner double goes up for sale.
I”ve written a few times about the longest lifts of different types but what about the shortest? The considerable expense of a detachable lift is usually justified for long profiles where speed makes sense. The average detachable lift in this part of the world is over 5,200 feet long while the average fixed grip lift is under 2,800 feet. However, the slow loading speed of a high-speed lift also make sense for beginners and foot passengers regardless of the length of the line. Hence there are plenty of very short detachable lifts that cost millions and take less than two minutes to ride. Below are the ten shortest ones in the US and Canada.
- Cabriolet – Mont Tremblant, QC – 1994 Doppelmayr detachable 6-passenger cabriolet
Slope length: 1,100 feet, ride time 1.4 minutes.
- Easy Rider Express – Sierra-at-Tahoe, CA – 1996 Doppelmayr detachable quad
Slope length: 1,165 feet, ride time 1.3 minutes
- Chair 3 – Horseshoe Resort, ON – 1989 Doppelmayr detachable quad
Slope length: 1,400 feet, ride time 1.6 minutes
- Super Glide – Alpine Valley Resort, WI – 2011 Leitner-Poma detachable quad
Slope length: 1,421 feet, ride time 1.4 minutes
- Valley Flyer – Alpine Valley Resort, WI – 1999 Poma detachable quad
Slope length: 1,426 feet, ride time 1.6 minutes